I kicked off our Cinco de Mayo celebration early this year with these Mexican-style healthy tacos. We went crazy over how delicious the slaw is. I’m not usually a fan of slaws in general, but I AM cilantro’s biggest fan… so that explains that! Bill, however, loves slaw and pretty much wants to find a way to put it on everything he makes.
Speaking of Bill, he and I really enjoy things that are spicy, so I thought I’d throw some level 2 Volcano Dust in with the chicken. Well, I was happily seasoning away, thinking I was using the level 2 dust, but it was actually scorpion powder (which is basically the hottest pepper in the world). I tasted it and thought, umm… something isn’t right here. So when Bill got home from work I asked him about it and found out he pulled the old switcheroo on me, and didn’t tell me that he put the super hot stuff in the level 2 jar. Luckily, we can handle some heat, so it was still delicious anyway!!
Ancho Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Slaw and Avocado Cream Sauce
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3/4 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Volcano Dust to taste, or your favorite hot pepper powder (optional)
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/8 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated or made into a paste
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 cups packaged angel hair slaw
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 medium (9-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, granulated garlic, cumin, and hot pepper powder (optional). Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan, set aside.
- Combine lime zest, 1 tablespoon of the divided lime juice, grated garlic, yogurt, milk, and avocado in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine remaining lime juice, slaw, green onions, cilantro, oil, salt, and pepper, tossing well to coat.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons avocado mixture and 1/2 cup slaw mixture. Fold tortilla in half to make it taco style.