I love it when Bill makes his mouthwatering smoked chicken because that means I get to make my awesome smoked chicken salad!
We started making this a few years ago and it turns out uh-mazing every time.
There are so many chicken salad recipes out there, and it’s really a matter of how you like it and what you prefer.
I keep mine pretty simple because I really want the smoky flavor to stand out. If you don’t have smoked chicken you could try adding a couple drops of liquid smoke or some smoked paprika.
Bill doesn’t like celery, but he likes the flavor of it… so I always put the celery in the food processor
first to get rid of any big chunks for him. I’m cool like that!
So… Bill’s got his celery thing, and I personally don’t want an extremely chunky chicken salad, and I always process the meat a little finer than Bill would like it so I can spread the leftovers on Triscuits. It’s how we compromise.
If you happen to try this with Triscuits, it makes a really great light lunch or a healthy snack.
I like to take the yum factor over the edge and chop up some green and/or black olives and make it a topping. You’ll definitely love me forever once you pop that first Triscuit in your mouth!
You can make this your own and try some of these additions in your batch of chicken salad:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Chopped almonds or walnuts
- Pickle Relish
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 cups smoked chicken, cold
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped or minced, depending on preference
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil mayonnaise
- *In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add celery and pulse until it turns into a minced consistency. Remove from food processor and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of chicken to food processor and pulse until desired consistency is reached; transfer to the mixing bowl with the celery and pulse the remaining chicken in the food processor. (It’s best to process the chicken in 2 separate batches so you’re able to get the texture you want without over-processing the chicken)
- Add onion, salt, pepper, and 1 cup mayonnaise to the celery and chicken; stir until blended. Add more mayonnaise if necessary.
- Serve on whole grain bread or on top of Triscuits for a healthy snack or light lunch.
You may also like: