White Chicken Chili

I think I fall more in love each time I eat this.

It’s got a great spicy “kick” to it – thanks to the cayenne pepper and canned jalapeno’s.  If you take a little sample while it’s simmering in the pot you might think it’s too much heat…

But wait until you sprinkle some jack cheese on top!

Oh, for the love of cheese.

It really tones down the heat and makes this a perfectly seasoned bowl of soup.  You’ll want to eat tons and tons of this stuff, and I won’t even try to stop you!

So what do y’all think of my photos lately?  I recently switched from my spec lens to what they call a “nifty fifty” lens.  It’s taking some getting used to, but I really do think it takes better photos than my old lens… even if I’m not entirely sure how to use it!  I really like how these photos came out, and I’m also really proud of my recent Apples and Peanut Butter photos, too!

Anyway… eat this soup and stay warm!  :)

Rachael xoxo

Do you want to improve your food photography?

Check out the eBook that helped me!

Tasty Food Photography eBook

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2-3 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
  • 3 (15-ounce) cans white beans, juices strained
  • Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, for serving
  • green onion, chopped, for serving (optional)
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until tender. Mix in garlic, jalapeno peppers, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano, and cayenne. Continue to cook and stir the mixture for another 2 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken, and white beans. Simmer for 15 minutes to combine flavors, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowls. Top with a small handful of cheese and sprinkle with green onions, if desired, and serve immediately.
Feel free to omit the cayenne pepper and add an extra can of green chiles if you don't like it spicy.

You may also like:

Award Winning Turkey Chili Recipe

35 comments… add one

• Bill November 8, 2012, 9:52 am

Yes, it did actually taste as good as it looks. I also added some broken up tortilla chips to add a little crunch. Great job on this one sweetie!

• Rachael November 8, 2012, 2:52 pm

Thanks! Next time, you’re making it for me! :)

• Jamie G November 8, 2012, 11:04 am

I love chicken chili! I just made some last weekend for a soup potluck I hosted. I agree with Bill, broken tortilla chips are a must with this chili. I added a can of white hominy to my soup, it was the first time I did it and everyone seemed to enjoy the extra texture. I’ve had my 50 mm lens for almost a year now, and still haven’t had the time to really figure it out. I think I’ll have to purchase that ebook!

• Rachael November 8, 2012, 1:02 pm

Omg, I just tried hominy for the first time last weekend at a family dinner. I loved it, and you’re right… it would go great in this chili! I hope you like the eBook as much as I did… I learned SO much! :)

• Betty November 8, 2012, 3:34 pm

That looks really good! I also want to tell you before I even read your question about the pictures I had noticed how sharp and great the picture looked.

• Rachael November 8, 2012, 3:57 pm

Thank you for noticing!!! It’s a work in progress! :)

• Julie @ Table for Two November 8, 2012, 8:59 pm

your pictures are gorgeous! nifty fifty is definitely hard to get used to at first because of the no-zoom but it seems like you’re getting the hang of it!! i love chilis and i really like that this is a white-based chili instead of the usual red!

• ATasteOfMadness November 9, 2012, 7:55 am

Oh my goodness, wow. This really does look fantastic! And your photos are gorgeous!

• Angie November 9, 2012, 8:51 am

I love white chili, I haven’t made it in so long though, I should this weekend!

• Rachael November 9, 2012, 10:14 am

I can’t believe I waited so long to make it. Bill and I decided to put it in the regular rotation for winter! :)

• Steve Davis November 9, 2012, 9:08 am

Gotta make this for Liz!! She loves white beans!!

• Rachael November 9, 2012, 10:15 am

Let me know if you guys like it!

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction November 9, 2012, 9:52 am

I love your soup bowls! :) And this chili. . .yum! White chicken chili is a favorite at my house!

• Riley November 9, 2012, 8:01 pm

Yum Rachael! I like it spicy!

• Rachael November 10, 2012, 10:24 am

That’s the only way to go, in my opinion!

• Cate November 10, 2012, 2:50 am

Before I got to that section of the post I was totally thinking about how great these photos were- way to go Rachel! I love the 50mm too- such a great lens :)

• Rachael November 10, 2012, 10:26 am

Thanks SO much!! I thought my progress was lacking for a while, but this lens really is awesome!!

• Amberlie November 10, 2012, 11:20 am

We made this last night in the crockpot and it was delicious! Definitely a recipe we are keeping, thank you for sharing. Added some red bell pepper for color and cilantro for garnish. It was perfect for a cold night.

• Rachael November 10, 2012, 12:54 pm

I’m glad you liked it! Red bell pepper and cilantro sounds awesome. :)

• Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 10, 2012, 4:46 pm

White chicken chili is one of my favorites, this looks perfect for a chilly fall evening!

• Rachael November 10, 2012, 5:10 pm

Thanks so much. I can’t wait to eat it when it gets REALLY chilly outside! :)

• Ella-Home Cooking Adventure November 13, 2012, 4:09 am

This looks soo good, I love white beans and I am glad to find recipes which are using them . This must be delicious.

• Rachael November 13, 2012, 9:49 am

Thanks Ella! I love white beans, too! :)

• Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin November 13, 2012, 12:08 pm

Your photos look wonderful! I’m definitely going to have to pin this one – it looks so tasty :)

• Rachael November 13, 2012, 1:14 pm

Awesome! Thank you Jen! ;)

• Ashley - Baker by Nature November 13, 2012, 4:30 pm

Rachael, this looks incredible!!! I need some white chicken chili in my life for sure.

• M. Eva-Marie November 16, 2012, 12:36 pm

Love your blog! Maybe we can follow each other on bloglovin or GFC? Please leave me a comment or follow me and I will follow you =)

• Molly January 31, 2013, 6:10 pm

Can you tell me the calories in one serving of this yummy white chicken chili. Thank you!

• Rachael February 1, 2013, 1:55 pm

Hi Molly! I’m recovering from surgery right now, and will get the nutritional info up soon. For now, here’s a link to the original recipe – http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/22302/recipecha-chas-white-chicken-chili – I believe I made small changes, but this should give you an idea. The calorie count is towards the bottom, so just scroll down till you see it!

Hope that helps! ;)

• Tony @ Simple Awesome Cooking February 11, 2013, 6:24 pm

I was thinking the same thing as the others….the white chicken chili sounds great….but the photos are awesome. Razor sharp too. A 50mm is a really fun length for a lot of reasons, but what really does it for these photos is the composition and the setting. Great colors in the mats and bowl, with some pop from the scallions. Hope you’re feeling better these days!

• Rachael February 16, 2013, 3:01 pm

Thanks Tony! I’m still in recovery mode, thanks for the well wishes!!!

As far as the photos, YES, it’s amazing how much this lens helped me with my photo composition. I’m totally out of practice now, and kind of nervous for my next shoot. :)

• mobile games for girls March 30, 2014, 2:51 am

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard
    work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to
    prevent hackers?

• Rachael April 1, 2014, 12:49 pm

Hi, sorry to hear that about your site. I haven’t personally had that issue, but I keep a very long and strong password to make sure that my site is protected. There are people constantly trying to hack my site, and all wordpress sites, all the time, so using a strong password is your best bet for ensuring your safety–that I know of anyway. Good luck! :)