Simple Butternut Squash Soup

Simple Butternut Squash Soup

I’ve got to give a shout out to Meghan H, a reader of Simply Fresh Cooking, who sent in this butternut squash soup recipe for us to try.

Hollaaa, Meghan!  :)  Bill and I loved it, thank you very much!

I can’t speak for Bill, but my first experience eating butternut squash soup was from something that came out of a box.  And, ummm… it wasn’t very good (I’m being polite.  It totally sucked!).

Obviously, I forgot the major “Foodie 101 rule”:  Everything is better homemade than store-bought.

I was reminded of that with this recipe – which I followed to a tee, by the way.  I didn’t feel the need to make any changes and get all crazy since I’ve never made it before.  I was kind of nervous it would turn out chunky, but it was totally smooth, creamy and delicious!

Rachael Rachael xoxo

5.0 from 1 reviews
Simple Butternut Squash Soup
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 4
  • 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for roasting, plus 2 tablespoons
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1-2 teaspoons curry powder, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut off just the stem from the squash, then cut squash in half, lengthwise. Drizzle the cut edges with oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay the squash cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast until very soft, about 1 hour. Remove squash from the oven and turn the halves over and let them stand until cool enough to handle. Scoop the flesh from the shell and remove to a bowl. Discard the shell.
  3. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven with a lid, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the squash flesh, chicken stock, and curry powder (if using) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the squash is broken down, about 10 minutes.
  4. Cool the squash mixture for about 5 minutes before adding it to a blender or food processor. Working in batches, puree the mixture until smooth, transferring the puree to a clean saucepan as you work. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer a few minutes over medium heat to combine the flavors. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and serve immediately.
Nutrition facts are based on 3 tablespoons of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 Calories: 288.6 Fat: 11.9 g Saturated fat: 1.9 g Carbohydrates: 44.4 g Sugar: 7.8 g Fiber: 6.8 g Protein: 8.4 g Cholesterol: 0.0 mg

Recipe Source: Claire Robinson

You may also like:

28 comments… add one

• Liz @ The Lemon Bowl November 1, 2012, 1:23 pm

Sounds fantastic!!! I love curry in butternut squash soup.

• Rachael November 1, 2012, 1:38 pm

Thanks Liz! It was YUM! I think I love curry in everything! :)

• Meghan November 1, 2012, 2:15 pm

I hate soup and love this stuff (I’m the one that sent in the recipe). So simple, cheap and yummy to make. I cut down the cook time a bit and make it a little easier, by poking 3-4 holes in the squash and microwaving it for 20-30 minutes (depending on squash size), then you cut it long ways, scoop out the seeds, and continue following the instructions. I also add some ground all spice and ground cinnamon to mine as well. (about 1 1/2-2 tsp of each)

• Rachael November 1, 2012, 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing, Meghan! I’m going to try it that way next time! Can’t wait! xoxo

• Julie @ Table for Two November 1, 2012, 8:30 pm

I love how easy this soup is to make and the flavors in it! The curry powder gives it that warm flavor. Delicious and beautiful!

• Rachael November 1, 2012, 9:33 pm

That’s an excellent way to describe the curry flavor, Julie!! ;)

• Jessica@AKitchenAddiction November 2, 2012, 9:35 am

My first experience was bad, too and I have yet to try it again! This makes me want to try and make it myself and see if I’ll like it!

• Rachael November 2, 2012, 9:47 am

Do it Jessica! This was a very pleasant experience all around for me. I was totally dreading it, too! LOL. Let me know! :)

• Steve Davis November 2, 2012, 9:44 am

I’m making this today!! Looks Delicious, and it will help take this bite out of the air!! :)

• Rachael November 2, 2012, 9:50 am

Hey Steve, are you making anything with it? Bill and I just ate the soup by itself for a crazy low-cal meal. Kinda didn’t have a choice with all this Halloween candy that keeps finding its’ way into my hands! :)

• Steve Davis November 2, 2012, 9:53 am

Maybe perhaps a Hot Sandwich for a “Soup and A Sandwich” meal. Perfect for a cool autumn afternoon. It wouldn’t necessarily be gluten free(for my benefit) but delicious none the less!! ;)

• Rachael November 2, 2012, 10:03 am

A hot sandwich was what Bill and I were thinking would go good with it, but we didn’t get around to coming up with what kind of sammy! Let me know what you come up with! :)

• Steve Davis November 2, 2012, 10:28 am

I’m partial to a Hot Pastrami Ruben, but not sure if that would go with squash. I’m making myself hungry just thinking about it. :p

• Rachael November 2, 2012, 11:11 am

I think that sounds GOOD Steve! Just do it! :)

• Steve Davis November 2, 2012, 3:44 pm

Smellin Good in the oven right now!!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes November 2, 2012, 10:12 am

A simple and soothing soup that I could have every day!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction November 2, 2012, 2:02 pm

the first time I had butternut squash soup was from a can. Eeek! It was actually quite good, but homemade is! This looks heavenly – so creamy and perfect for the chilly weather i’ve been facing! I want some for dinner tonight :)

• Rachael November 2, 2012, 2:08 pm

I could totally eat this again with the chillier Nebraska weather we’re having today!

• Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin November 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

This looks so delicious. And I love how simple it sounds to prepare, with only a handful of key ingredients. This is my kind of recipe! ;)

• Barbara @ Barbara Bakes November 2, 2012, 3:02 pm

The curry powder sounds like a great addition to butternut squash soup.

• Riley November 2, 2012, 5:03 pm

Looks great! I love adding curry to butternut squash soup, it makes it so much more interesting!

• Cate November 2, 2012, 10:50 pm

Ditto what everybody else has said: love the addition of curry powder. I use it in my vegan pumpkin soup and it’s so so good!

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 3, 2012, 12:08 am

I recently tried a restaurant-style butternut squash soup and absolutely loved it! I can’t wait to try this homemade version though! It looks so hearty and comforting!

• Amy (Savory Moments) November 3, 2012, 7:13 am

Your soup looks so silky and delicious. Butternut squash soup with a touch of curry is a great thing for a cool autumn evening.

• Hamilton Courtney November 7, 2012, 12:24 pm

Butternut squash soup was the very first recipe I ever posted on my blog, and whenever I see recipes for it on other blogs my heart goes a flutter!

This looks like a lovely recipe :)

• Julia @ A Cedar Spoon December 19, 2012, 2:39 pm

Just looking around a little bit on your site and came across this recipe. I love butternut squash soup and have not added curry powder in before. I am totally trying that next time! Great recipe.

• Rachael December 19, 2012, 2:47 pm

Awesome Julia! Hope you like it! :)