Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Pecans

Brussels sprouts…

You either love ‘em or hate ‘em.

I personally love them, and so does Bill.

I found out that my mom isn’t a fan.  It’s because of the bitterness you get with them sometimes.

If that’s your issue with Brussels sprouts – you’re in luck.  The sweetness of the dried cranberries completely cuts out any bitterness that you might otherwise find on your palette.

I made these to go with a baked ham I prepared for a assignment.

That’s a flavor combination I could eat over and over again!

This will make the perfect accompaniment to your Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas ham, or anytime you need a healthy and delicious side dish.

Rachael xoxo

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Pecans
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 4
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • ⅛ teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup pecans, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and oil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 30-35 minutes, stirring once or twice. Roast Brussels sprouts until golden brown, crisp on the outside, and tender on the inside. During the last 5-7 minutes of cooking time, stir in cranberries and pecans.
  3. Serve immediately.

Recipe slightly adapted from Whole Foods

You may also like:
  Easy Homemade Beer Bread  Healthy Pasta Salad

17 comments… add one

• Julie @ Table for Two November 16, 2012, 8:03 pm

yum! this looks so good. i’m starting to really warm up to brussel sprouts cause my fiancé loves them! this dish looks great and perfect for thanksgiving!

• Mari November 4, 2013, 7:19 pm

Hi, will these taste good reheated, I would be bring them to Thanksgiving and reheating them when I get there.

• Rachael November 6, 2013, 6:08 pm

I personally liked them fresh out of the oven the best, but my husband thought they were just as good reheated. If it were me, I might consider making the recipe ahead of time just to be sure you’re okay with the quality. :)

• Betty November 16, 2012, 9:29 pm

OMG that looks so good!! love the pictures! I will be making this!! You are so good at this.

• Rachael November 17, 2012, 3:04 pm

Thanks Betty! You’re too sweet! :)

• Ella-Home Cooking Adventure November 18, 2012, 3:08 pm

I love Brussel Sprouts, I really don’t understand how can anybody hate them:)
    They can be cooked in so many ways, with chestnuts or all other types of vegetables and now with cranberries. I have to try this one:) I wouldn’t have thought to use cranberries:) sounds deliiiicious.

• Rachael November 18, 2012, 3:16 pm

I love the idea of chestnuts, Ella! ;)

• Julia {The Roasted Root} November 19, 2012, 10:21 pm

I loooove brussels sprouts! And putting fruit and nuts with them in a fun roasted dish sounds delicious! I’ve never tried fruit or nuts alongside brussels and I bet it’s fabulous. Great, healthy Thanksgiving side dish!

• Cate November 20, 2012, 3:28 am

I don’t know how anybody could NOT love Brussels sprouts- they are so good! Although I guess as a kid I never tried those sad, greyish boiled Brussels sprouts that would occasionally be served as the vegetable in elementary school. If I had, maybe I would have developed an aversion!

But the sprouts and cranberry combination looks awesome… I’ll have to try it next time I come home from Costco with several huge bags of Brussels sprouts :)

• Rachael November 20, 2012, 10:56 am

You’re probably right… school has got to be what ruined some Americans on Brussels sprouts!! ;)

• Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin November 21, 2012, 8:26 am

This sounds so tasty! And the colors are pretty and festive – perfect for the holidays :)

• Jen @ Savory Simple November 21, 2012, 7:53 pm

Brussels with cranberries and pecans sounds perfect! Some sweetness and crunch are a great balance to one of my favorite veggies.

• Shut Up & Cook | The Attainable Gourmet November 24, 2012, 5:12 pm

This looks like the ultimate Thanksgiving side dish. YUM! Excited to explore some more of your blog and see what else you’ve got cooking.

• Rachael December 5, 2012, 11:08 am

I hope you enjoyed browsing around the site! Thanks for stopping by! :)

• Nicole Shea @ November 27, 2012, 7:35 pm

WOW! These brussel sprouts look super yummy!! We are going to have to try them for sure!

• Tony B December 12, 2012, 10:06 am

Great idea – would not have thought of pairing cranberries with BS’s. Here all along I’ve just been cooking them with bacon.

• Rachael December 12, 2012, 11:21 am

I could go for Brussels sprouts with bacon right now! I don’t eat nearly enough bacon. Thanks for the comment, Tony! :)