This is the easiest and most perfect dish you could possibly make for the occasion. It takes literally 5 minutes to get it ready to be thrown into the old slow cooker. That’s my kind of meal!
The saltiness of the sauerkraut goes great with an ice cold glass of Beck’s and a slice of buttered rye bread.
I’m pretty sure sauerkraut is a love/hate type of food. I personally love the Bavarian style sauerkraut, and I always eat some right out of the can when I make this dish.
Do you love sauerkraut… or not so much?
- 4 (14-oz) cans Bavarian style sauerkraut (I like Frank’s sweet Bavarian style with caraway seeds)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 26 ounces- 2 pounds kielbasa sausage, precooked and cut into 3 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- In bottom of stoneware, layer 2 cans of sauerkraut (with juices from can), half of the onion slices, ¼ teaspoon celery seed, and half of the sausage pieces. Repeat for the next layer.
- Cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Recipe adapted from Crock-Pot.com