The saltiness of the sauerkraut goes great with an ice cold glass of Beck’s and a slice of buttered rye bread.
I’m pretty sure sauerkraut is a love/hate type of food. I personally love the Bavarian style sauerkraut, and I always eat some right out of the can when I make this dish.
Do you love sauerkraut… or not so much?
- 4 (14-oz) cans Bavarian style sauerkraut (I like Frank’s sweet Bavarian style with caraway seeds)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 26 ounces- 2 pounds kielbasa sausage, precooked and cut into 3 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- In bottom of stoneware, layer 2 cans of sauerkraut (with juices from can), half of the onion slices, ¼ teaspoon celery seed, and half of the sausage pieces. Repeat for the next layer.
- Cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Recipe adapted from Crock-Pot.com