I love all things Mediterranean, and I really should start cooking more “Med style” dinners. It’s pretty basic ingredients, but the outcome is always healthy and flavorful.
This particular dish was supposed to have grape tomatoes in it, but things happen and tomatoes go bad if you put off using them (oops)… So I used a green pepper because it’s what I had on hand. You could also use red pepper. It certainly didn’t affect the flavor of the dish, but it would have been nice to have a little extra color.
Have I mentioned how much I love artichokes?
I could literally eat them straight from the can (and I do).
If I love canned artichokes so much, I can’t imagine what my world is going to be like when I try my first fresh artichoke! I’m waiting to find just the right recipe to try it out for the first time.
Just a note: Be sure to rinse your artichokes to get rid of some of that excess sodium. Small steps like that can make a big difference in your health!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 12-16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3-4 pieces)
- Italian herbs
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (about 4-6 quarts). Add rice and boil for 30-40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Lightly season on cutting board with Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix chicken with tongs until meat is coated evenly with seasonings.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat ½ tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1½ tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and sauté for 30 seconds; add onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Next, add garlic, lemon juice, and artichoke hearts; cook and stir until artichoke is heated through.
- Stir in chicken, basil, and parsley. Serve over rice.
You may also like: