Homemade Canola Oil Mayonnaise

All you need are four ingredients and a food processor
to make your own rich, creamy, and delicious homemade mayo!

As you can probably tell from my earlier posts, I’m a huge mayonnaise fan.  I make it myself because most of the store-bought stuff has all of those nasty preservatives and added sugar.  You can buy all natural canola oil mayonnaise, but it’s rather expensive.  Once you start making it yourself you’ll find out how easy it is and you’ll never go back to buying it again…  and you’ll save a buck or two to boot.

You can get creative by adding fresh herbs and spices, garlic, onion, hot peppers or whatever you’re in the mood for.  You can also experiment with different oils.  Olive oil is my favorite.

Any way you do it, this recipe is great for anything that calls for mayo… or just spread it on a sandwich.   You will love it!

Bill

You may also like:

Recipe source: Food.com

5.0 from 1 reviews
Homemade Canola Oil Mayonnaise

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1¼ cup canola oil
Instructions
  1. Add the egg, lemon juice, mustard, and 1 tablespoon of the oil to a food processor and process on high for one minute.
  2. Turn machine on high again and slowly pour remaining oil through the opening of the food processor. Refrigerate.
Notes
Vinegar can be substituted for the lemon juice. For olive oil mayo, try a 1 cup canola-1/4 cup olive oil blend. Remember that this in not loaded with preservatives, so it should not be left at room temperature for longer than 1 hour. Mayo will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. Yield about 1½ cups.

16 comments… add one

• Betty June 19, 2012, 2:56 pm

I have been waiting for this one. Cant wait to try it. I don’t have a food processor though so what could I use.

• Primm June 21, 2012, 8:08 pm

Whisk and metal bowl work just fine, along with some hard work. It takes a bit longer to incorporate the egg and oil, but if you keep whisking it turns out just the same.

• Dom June 26, 2012, 7:35 pm

How long will this keep for? I am assuming about a week?… Can’t wait to give it a go!

• Bill June 26, 2012, 9:27 pm

Yeah, about a week. Please let us know how you like it!

• samara September 4, 2012, 10:29 pm

can we substitute canola for any other oil?

• Bill September 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

I apologize for the delayed response Samara, but yes you can use other oils. I would recommend a flavorless or blend of oils as using pure olive oil for example would overpower the flavor of the mayo. Thanks for checking out the recipe!

• Miranda September 24, 2012, 8:10 pm

I’ve never thought to make my own mayo but my husband has decided to be on a health kick of late. So I’m going to give it a try.

• Kim September 30, 2012, 12:52 pm

We have been on hunt for soy free foods (husband is allergic to soy) and found most brand name mayo’s are made w/soy bean oil (not to mention how much soy is in our other foods and we don’t know it). I made your recipe and in fact doubled it. It turned out great, I did add a little more lemon juice and added some salt. It tastes wonderful. Thank you very much for posting this recipe.

• Nancy March 18, 2013, 8:46 pm

Can I use egg whites instead of a whole egg for cholesterol free.
    Tks
    Nggilles

• Bill March 19, 2013, 1:09 pm

Hi Nancy, I have never tried to make this recipe without the yolks, so I can’t say if it would work or not. If you try it, please let me know how it goes. I did find an egg white mayo recipe here that you could try. Thanks for checking out the recipe!

• ava July 2, 2013, 5:21 pm

Hello Nancy,
      I just seen your post asking about using only egg whites. Mayonnaise is an emulsion of oil in lemon juice that has been stabilized by the molecule lecithin found in the egg yolks. So long story short ” No” You must have the yolk :)

• Bill July 2, 2013, 5:52 pm

Sorry Nancy, I neglected to include the link in my original comment. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/egg-white-mayonnaise/ I haven’t tried the recipe, but the reviews are favorable. Good luck!

• Kristi G. October 4, 2013, 3:44 pm

Gonna try this, found a recipe that calls for canola mayo as a recipe. And I’m moving toward cooking more. Thanks!

• JP May 31, 2014, 11:33 pm

Not sure what I did wrong; followed recipe exactly, ended up with a THIN consistency…almost like a vinaigrette. Any pointers?

• Heather! March 12, 2015, 11:23 am

The trick is that the oil must be added VERY slowly. I try to make sure it takes me at least two minutes to do that.

• Faith January 19, 2015, 7:32 am

I also love mayo.great recipe. Tastes even better if you add a teaspoon of California garlic powder and a dash of salt. Even better than store bought