The Mediterranean way of eating is such an excellent and heart healthy diet to follow 24/7, but to me this meal just feels like summer. These stuffed pitas are so healthy and light… they make the perfect dinner for hot weather.
I used my very own ‘Garlicky’ Hummus recipe for this. It’s my go-to when I need my hummus fix, and I’m really starting to think I need that “fix” entirely way too much lately. But eh, whatevs. It’s delish!
I’m planning on making homemade pita chips with all the leftover pita bread. Soooo excited to eat them! I’ll get back to you know when I come up with a recipe I like for them.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½-1/4 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- 1 cup hummus
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add in tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion; toss to coat.
- Open each pita pocket carefully and spread ¼ cup hummus in each pocket and stuff in some of the cucumber mixture using a slotted spoon. Serve any remaining cucumber and tomato salad on the side.
You may also like: