Grandma’s Crustless Cheesecake Recipe

This cheesecake is so light and refreshing for summertime.  Not to mention, it’s way healthier than the classic ‘New York Style Cheesecake’ because it doesn’t have crust or flour in the recipe.  For example, that type could have anywhere from 500-800 calories per serving, and ours has only 274 calories.

That pretty much seals the deal for me!

I decided to use all organic ingredients (besides the cream cheese), which makes it even better for you!  :)

It’s kind of ridiculous how fast you can whip up this cheesecake.  After you taste it you’ll be thinking, wow, that’s all I had to do, and it’s that yummy?!

I guess some cream cheese and a little sugar and vanilla speaks for itself in this recipe!

As a child, this is what I always asked Grandma to make for my birthday, instead of a traditional birthday cake.  It still happens to be my favorite dessert, and it’s tied to a lot of good memories for me as well.

Now it’s my go-to dessert that I make for my friends birthdays, or just when I need a quick dessert to bring to a BBQ party.

Rachael xoxo

4.5 from 15 reviews
Grandma's Crustless Cheesecake Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

No crust and no flour makes this a healthier version of the New York Style Cheesecake, but every bit as yummy!
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (leave sitting out at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours)
  • ⅔ cup organic cane sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
  • 4 organic eggs
  • 1 cup low-fat organic sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. With an electric hand mixer, smooth together cream cheese, ⅔ cup sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. Pour filling into a 9-inch glass pie plate and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and set in the middle. Let cool for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, mix together sour cream, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla and spread on top of cheesecake.
  4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Notes
Serving suggestion: Serve with sliced strawberries.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 274.7 Fat: 14.6 g Saturated fat: 8.2 g Carbohydrates: 27.5 g Sugar: 24.8 g Fiber: 0.0 g Protein: 8.4 g Cholesterol: 135.4 mg

You may also like:

90 comments… add one

• betty May 24, 2012, 8:19 pm

oh my gosh….yep you guys will be breaking me at the store. Looks delish but I need to do the pasta also.

• Rachael May 24, 2012, 9:19 pm

Thanks Betty! Yeah, just make everything. Lol!

• Martha May 24, 2012, 8:20 pm

I do say this is total flavor and cant wait to try it out!!

• Sara May 24, 2012, 8:21 pm

yep…I think I have a problem tracking this blog as total delish recipes

• Pat May 25, 2012, 6:28 am

This is such an elegant dessert, people will think you spent all day making it! Gotta love family traditions………cheesecake for a birthday cake is OK by me.

• Cindy May 27, 2012, 11:39 pm

can I sub the sour cream for greek yoghurt? :)

• Rachael May 28, 2012, 10:52 pm

I think it would be a good idea to try it. I would imagine it would probably turn out just fine. Let me know if you give it a try, Cindy!

• Sue/the view from great island May 28, 2012, 5:15 pm

Your photos drew me right in. I love everything about this cheesecake, thanks for the recipe!

• Rachael May 28, 2012, 10:53 pm

You’re very welcome, Sue. I hope you like it!

• Sarah Michelle Reid May 31, 2012, 3:09 pm

I cant believe there’s no crust!! It looks amazing and self-crusting with the edges too! I bet my family would be fooled on sight.

• Mellisa June 1, 2012, 11:02 pm

Just bit into this and it’s very very eggy, almost like I’m eating a scrambled egg pie.

• Rachael June 2, 2012, 8:53 am

I’m sorry to hear that!! I’ve never experienced anything like that with this recipe, it’s always been light and fluffy for me. I wonder if you didn’t get it mixed well enough, and you do have to bake it until it’s set. Too bad it didn’t turn out well for you. :(

• Lori June 2, 2012, 7:12 am

This looks so good! I’ve been on the lookout for a lighter cheesecake because my husband really likes this type. I haven’t been able to find one until now. Pinned this one to try this summer!

• ida June 30, 2012, 7:18 pm

Hi, this looks AMAZING. Just a few questions just to make sure i get it right. is it 350 degrees centigrade or Fahrenheit, and do you mean two thirds of a cup of sugar or 2-3 cups of sugar? and would you say the eggs are roughly medium or small??
    Sorry if these are stupid questions.

• Rachael June 30, 2012, 8:42 pm

Hi Ida, there’s no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to cooking! :) It’s Farenheit, two thirds of a cup, and I used large eggs. Let me know if you like it!

• cchristine September 23, 2013, 8:38 pm

Wait so is it 8oz or two 8oz cream cheese?

• Rachael September 23, 2013, 11:48 pm

cchristine, it’s actually two 8 ounce packages of cream cheese. Hope this helps. x

• Sunny July 5, 2012, 6:06 pm

Hey, I just tried this recipe. The cake is now in the fridge. :D
    Is it right that the first part (the one that’s baked) is very fluid before you bake it? Because mine was. And it hasn’t turned out as big as on your pictures but I think this could be because my pie plate was bigger.
    I hope the cake comes out good. :) I’m so excited to try it! :)

And later: Is it okay if I post a picture of it on my blog and give a link to your recipe if it comes out good? :)

• Rachael July 6, 2012, 9:43 am

It does actually have a thinner consistency, so that’s normal. I do hope you adjusted the cooking time, as it might not take yours as long to bake if you used a bigger pie plate. Let me know how it turned out. And yes, of course, go ahead and share with your readers with a link back to me! :)

• Molly July 21, 2012, 11:48 am

I am making this today!! I’ll add lemon zest because my kids like it in their cheesecake but that’s all I will change. Well, that and I only use full-fat dairy. Can’t wait til tonight when we can dig in!!

Molly

• Rachael July 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

The addition of lemon zest sounds great! Let me know how you like it! :)

• ida July 25, 2012, 2:45 am

I loved it!!! I even made some for my personal trainer because he was telling me how much he loves cheescake but at the same time feels so guilty! (He loved it too)

• Rachael July 25, 2012, 9:42 am

That’s so awesome! I’m glad you both loved it! Of course it still has sugar, but you can feel a little less guilty about eating this cheesecake. :)

• Mauricio August 6, 2012, 11:52 pm

So I just baked mine and it looks so good. I just added a pinch of salt and 3 tablespoons of flour just because. The sour cream tastes very good. I bet it’ll be amazing on the pie. I pinched into the center to give it a try and it tastes amazing! Great recipe. Thanks.

• Rachael August 7, 2012, 12:07 am

Thanks Mauricio. I totally die over that sour cream topping, too! Glad you like the cheesecake!

• Mauricio August 7, 2012, 5:33 pm

Rachael! It was a big success! Everyone at work loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

• Rachael August 7, 2012, 5:37 pm

That’s music to my ears! :) :)

• Chris the Skitzoid Lady August 14, 2012, 5:10 am

I am gluten intolerant and have been looking for a flour free recipe for cheese cake. This sounds AWESOME! I’ll be trying it this week-end.

• Rachael August 14, 2012, 10:42 am

How wonderful Chris, I’m glad you found it! Hope you love! :)

• Crystal August 18, 2012, 3:55 pm

I put some chocolate chips on the cream cheese part and it is taking a little longer to bake. I already made 1, very excited to have this for my friends birthday (she has gluten allergies). Being a dairy farmer I used whole dairy products and eggs from my free range chickens. Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to eat them!

• Rachael August 18, 2012, 4:02 pm

Oooh, you’re a dairy farmer?? I love it! Also, super glad you like the cheesecake. Hope your friend has a happy Bday! :)

• Alyssa September 9, 2012, 5:52 pm

I am looking to make cheesecake stuffed strawberries, and since I don’t need a crust for them, this looks like a great recipe. I originally was looking for a peanut butter cheesecake recipe. If i were to add 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter to the filling, how do you think that would affect baking time, consistency, and flavor?

Thank you!

• Alycia October 3, 2012, 2:32 pm

This is amazing! I added orange zest – perfection! This is now my go-to cheesecake recipe. Thank you!

• Rachael October 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Mmmm, orange zest sounds so good! I’m making it next week and I think I’ll try that! Thanks for commenting and I’m so glad you liked it! :)

• Joann February 17, 2013, 10:53 am

Rachael, just found your recipe & will be making it to go along with my beautifu turkey dinner. I have been searching high& low for a crustless cheesecake recipe. So glad yours came along. This will be the star dessert to go along with our Downton Abbey finale.Thanks again! Joann

• Rachael February 17, 2013, 1:34 pm

I hope it’s a hit, Joann! ;)

• Bella March 31, 2013, 5:06 pm

Hi.
    I’ve just tried your recepie. I added some lemomjuice with the sourceame and vanilla. It came out realy nice. It tast great! But it dosen’t really feel like cheesecake more like a mix of pie and chessecake. But still it’s really good. And it’s much fever calories :-)

• Rachael April 1, 2013, 2:01 pm

Hi, Bella! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe, and thanks so much for letting me know! :)

• inan bilmiom April 27, 2013, 10:00 am

hll olsun :D

• Kelli May 14, 2013, 11:35 pm

I’ve made this twice now. Once as a pie with orange zest in the cream topping and now again as cupcakes (still with orange zest). The zest in the cream is out of this world!

• Rachael May 14, 2013, 11:54 pm

I’m so glad you like it, Kelli! And next time I make it I’ll give the orange zest a try. Yummy! I love that you made cupcakes, too!! :)

• Crystal May 19, 2013, 7:15 pm

This recipe is very unclear and left me with a drippy chunky batter that’s seems pretty useless. I beleive you might want to alter the directions to specify to cream the sugar and cream cheese until smooth THEN add the eggs. I’m certain this was my mistake as I’ve made cheesecakes numerous times with my mother and this is what we always did. I suppose I should have listened to my instincts on this rather than blindly following the recipe to the letter.

• Rachael May 19, 2013, 10:36 pm

Sorry you had trouble with the recipe, Crystal. It’s been drastically improved since I got it from my grandma, but I’ll look it over again and see what I can do to fix it.

• Sheila June 9, 2013, 1:34 am

Can I know 8 ounces of cream cheese equal
    to how many grams?? And the sugar as well??

• Abby June 20, 2013, 7:45 pm

This is a perfect basic crustless cheesecake recipe. I like to reduce the eggs to 3 to lower cholesterol a bit but keep it at 4 eggs when folding ingredients like fruit or chocolate. I can’t wait to use this recipe for rum cheesecake. This is the go-to recipe for any cheesecake!

• Rachael June 21, 2013, 2:30 pm

Awesome, Abby! Great ideas, too! :) :)

• Renee July 2, 2013, 12:47 am

Hi, i’m going to be making this for fourth of july and i wanted to know if i should a shallow pan of water on the bottom rack of my oven? Will the cheesecake sink even though it doesn’t have a crust. I heard that cheesecakes have a tendency to sink.

• Rachael July 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

Hi, Renee!

Skip the water, I’m not sure what would happen to the cheesecake if you tried that. Surprisingly, this is the only cheesecake I’ve ever made, so I can’t really speak about traditional cheesecakes recipes.

I hope you like it! :)

• Renee July 2, 2013, 5:47 pm

oh and another question..lol. Would i have to change the tempature and time if i blended pureed mango into the batter?

• Rachael July 2, 2013, 7:49 pm

I haven’t ever done anything to change the recipe, so it’s hard to say. I would say to keep the temperature the same, but you MAY have to bake it longer. The only thing I worry about is that it might be a little watery depending on how much you add. I might fold in blueberries if I were going to try adding a fruit for my first attempt. One way I tell if the cheesecake is done is if it’s no longer “jiggly” when I shake the pie plate a little, if that makes sense. Mango sounds super yummy, btw!!

• Karen Jones July 11, 2013, 7:14 pm

I tried the Crustless cheesecake… did 2 cause I am taking to a party. Just got out of oven and they look beauteous …. can hardly wait to try. I am thinking I may go with raspberries to go along with though cuz I am not seeing any good strawberries… thanks very much for the recipe and pics

• Rachael July 12, 2013, 2:06 am

Hi Karen! Beauteous! I love it!! I really hope you like it, and I would use any berry that looks the most delicious to you. Blueberries, strawbs, raspberries, blackberries… I might even throw some sliced banana on top. Hmmmmmmmm. Please let me know how it turns out, if you could? If you’re up to it you could even snap a cell phone pic and share it on our Facebook page. :)

Thanks for stopping by! xo

• Mary July 11, 2013, 11:29 pm

Hi, I have celiac, so I can’t tell you how excited I was to find your recipe! It is my husband’s birthday and cheesecake is his favorite desert. My kids broke my glass pie pan, so I hope it turns out okay in the disposable metal type. I’d also like to know if there’s a difference for high altitude. I’ll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for sharing it!

• Rachael July 12, 2013, 2:01 am

Hi Mary! I’m so glad you found this recipe. I talk to so many chronically ill folks every day that require GF recipes, and they absolutely love this cheesecake!

I’m not sure at all about the altitude. That’s something I have never learned… can you use Google to find out the corrections you’d need to make?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, Mary! Thanks for coming by! xo

• Mary July 12, 2013, 2:47 am

Thanks, Rachael!
    I just ate my slice, and here’s my scoop: I loved how easy it was. I loved the topping. I like that I only had to refrigerate for 42 hours, instead of overnight, like most recipes! Here’s how I think it could have been better: I didn’t leave the eggs out and let them warm up to room temperature before making the batter. I think if we add the eggs one at a time and only mix on low, that it won’t be lumpy or have cracks. It did seem a little too “eggy”, but that’s probably because I did it wrong. It seemed fine with the tin pie pan, but there was extra batter. My husband definitely liked the taste, but wished it was more firm. Do you think by either removing one egg or adding more cream cheese that it would be better? I suppose it could either be the altitude or I may need to bake it longer. Thanks again for sharing this recipe, and I will look for more of your recipes!

• Mary July 12, 2013, 2:48 am

*only had to refrigerate for 4 hours

• Rachael July 12, 2013, 3:33 pm

Hi Mary! I wish it would have turned out perfect for your husband’s Birthday… I’m very sorry to hear that, and that sort of thing happens to me with new recipes all the time!!! Let’s see… I use the electric hand mixer to mix it and always make sure my cream cheese is very soft. It’s a pretty “runny” consistency when you’re done mixing it, and I’ve never had it be too lumpy or crack on me during baking. I would probably recommend baking it a little longer, like you said. I like to give it a good “jiggle” while it’s in the oven to see if it’s set up enough.. I also check the bottom to see if it’s browned a little – but you can only do that with a glass pie plate. I’m sure that the bake time will need to be adjusted for whatever size pan you use (I wonder if yours was much thicker than mine, too)… and then the altitude issue, as well. One thing I’m wondering… did it look like the texture in the photo? I’m not sure how to update the recipe since many friends over the years have never had an issue with it, along with most folks commenting on this post… however, this is the second time I’ve heard that it had an “eggy” consistency. I’m stumped on that one, but we need to figure out if it’s a baking time issue or what exactly, because this cheesecake should be excellent! :) :) :)

• brandy July 27, 2013, 8:46 am

I love this recipe! I”ve made it twice and would not alter this recipe at all

• Rachael July 27, 2013, 11:33 am

I’m so glad you love the cheesecake, Brandy! Thanks for letting me know! xo

• Chrisden September 8, 2013, 12:10 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. My mom learned about this crustless recipe in her 1950s home economics class. It is super good and super easy. Can’t wait to make it again.

• Rachael September 8, 2013, 11:33 pm

Chrisden, Thanks for sharing that story. I hope you enjoy eating it again! :)

• katie September 13, 2013, 4:25 pm

Mine tasted like scrambeled eggs too. I made sure to mix everything very well.

• christine September 24, 2013, 7:48 am

Oh my god it was so easy! Amazing. I made it for my bfs bday and he loved it. Although it didnt quite taste like traditional cheesecake, it resembles this not too sweet but fluffy and delicious japanese cheesecake I used to enjoy.
    I put a little bit of lemon zest, a pinch of salt and topped it with fresh strawberries and it turned out beautiful.

But im just wondering… is there an easier way to pull out the cake after its done..? Like was i supposed to butter up the pie plate before i put the batter in?

• Leslie Montgomery December 29, 2013, 8:01 pm

can i use regular sugar?

• Rachael December 30, 2013, 3:39 pm

Yes, Leslie, you sure can! :)

• Ivy March 25, 2014, 2:06 pm

Hi Rachael!,
    I have a question, can i use 2 eggs instead of 4 eggs? would that make a big difference?

• Rachael March 25, 2014, 10:07 pm

Hi Ivy, I would imagine that it would have a pretty big impact on the outcome of the texture, but I haven’t tried it with only 2 eggs, so I can’t say for sure. Let me know if you try it! :)

• Gayle November 22, 2014, 10:35 am

I made it with only 2 eggs and cut the sugar in half and used greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it turned out great and even more healthier.

• Rachael November 22, 2014, 10:45 am

That’s great, Gayle! I’m happy you enjoyed it and made it healthier! :)

• TM May 26, 2014, 2:22 pm

In your photo it appears that your slice has a topping on it. Do you have a recipe for the topping?

• Rachael June 4, 2014, 1:23 pm

Hi TM -the topping is in the recipe – sour cream, sugar and vanilla. :)

• LeeLee May 26, 2014, 4:09 pm

Hi Rachael,

I’m looking for a crustless cheesecake because I’m shooting for low-carb. Do you know if anyone’s tried this with a sugar substitute? Or even a sugar blend to lower the carb count a little? I’m wondering if it would effect the consistency or texture. Such great feedback on here; I can’t wait to try it! Thx.

• Rachael June 4, 2014, 1:20 pm

Hi LeeLee! I’ve not actually heard of anyone try it with a sugar substitute, but please let me know if you experiment! :)

• Kelsey July 6, 2014, 8:33 pm

Holy buckets – this came out amazing! My boyfriend is such a stickler for crustless cheesecake and this totally appeased his pallet. I did replace about 1/8 tsp of vanilla with almond extract and also used orange zest as other reviewers had mentioned. SO. GOOD. Thank you for this great recipe that is so easily welcoming to flavor adaptions :)

• Rachael July 9, 2014, 1:58 pm

Hey, Kelsey. I’m so glad you loved it! Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Jenn August 9, 2014, 8:35 pm

I’m so disappointed in this cheesecake it’s unbelievable. It tastes nothing like cheesecake, it tastes like scrambled eggs and has a quiche-like consistency. I strongly doubt that this recipe has been tested properly and I doubt the authenticity of the photos as well. Frankly, the cheesecake I made looks nothing like the photos. It is so completely eggy, and could pass as some sort of sugary, eggy breakfast food. I followed the recipe to the letter and it turned out very bizarre. Like, was this recipe just made up out of nowhere?

My husband took a bite and literally asked me if I was punking him and this was actually an omelette. It’s simply nothing like a cheesecake, I do not recommend!!

• Angie August 25, 2014, 1:16 pm

Every time I make this recipe it comes out looking like the photos. It doesn’t have the same texture as a cheesecake you would typically buy at a restaurant or bakery, but it doesn’t taste like eggs, either. I have learned that it is important to mix the ingredients really well, and to not over bake the cheesecake. The sour cream topping is what makes this recipe stand out. I am not a big fan of crust anyway, and I think this is a perfect, delicious alternative to traditional cheesecake!

• Rachael August 29, 2014, 4:02 pm

Thank you for sharing, Angie. I’m so glad you like it! I’ve emailed Jenn directly to see if she could help me figure out how the recipe went wrong, but I’m still waiting to hear back from her. I wondered if people may have been using 1 package of cream cheese instead of two to get that “eggy” result?

Anyway, thanks again! :)

• Josie October 6, 2014, 5:28 am

Thank you for the recipe. We used 3 eggs instead of four and added 3/4 tsp lemon extract and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract in the main cream cheese/sugar base, and another 1 tsp vanilla extract yogurt instead of sour cream on the topping (we didn’t have sour cream so used Balkan style yogurt instead which we drained). After spreading the yogurt mixture over the top, we put it back in the oven for another 10 min as we had a batch of brownies baking as well. We let it cool and then chilled for 4 hours. It was delicious! The cheesecake was nice and firm and creamy just like your photo.

• Rachael October 15, 2014, 6:01 pm

I’m so glad it turned out yummy for you, Josie. Thanks for letting me know!

• nick December 19, 2014, 9:31 pm

Not so good. I’m a purest
    it’s kind of like eating cheesecake quiche pretty gross if you asked me too many eggs maybe if you cut the amount of eggs by half.

• Rachael December 31, 2014, 12:05 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Nick… I’m wondering, for the people who thought it turned out “eggy”, if they used 2 cartons of cream cheese instead of 1? That’s the only idea I have for why it might turn out weird for some.

• Sara December 28, 2014, 10:30 am

This looks so delightful! Would it be possible to sub the sugar for honey or palm sugar?

• Rachael December 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

I haven’t tried it with alternative sugars yet, but I would go for it! I actually don’t eat refined sugar anymore (I’m grain free now, too!), so I’m going to be recreating this recipe to suit my new diet – because as it is now, I can’t have it! You can follow me at my new blog here… http://loveyourselfgreen.com if you’d like to see the new recipe (hopefully I can make it work!!). :)

• Holly March 9, 2015, 2:19 pm

I substituted Splenda for the sugar (same measurements as the recipe calls for) and you can’t tell the difference!

• Rachael March 23, 2015, 11:49 pm

You can also sub raw honey, which is a much healthier alternative to Splenda and the refined sugar used in this recipe. I’m recreating this recipe using goat cheese and raw honey at my other blog that I currently update regularly at http://loveyourselfgreen.com and should have it posted within the next few weeks. :)