I made this delightfully refreshing drink to go with our leftover Ancho Chicken Tacos and oh my, was it ever good. The jalapeño slices give a really smooth heat in the back of your throat when you take a drink. It goes really well with the sweetness of the simple syrup.
Delicious… just delicious.
Here’s a tip: To make squeezing the juice from the lime easier, poke it with a fork continuously while squeezing. If you don’t have a hand juicer it helps the job go faster.
Recipe inspired by “Sparkling Basil Lemonade” in Better Homes and Gardens magazine
- 2 cups water
- ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup cilantro, plus 8 ‘sprigs’
- 1 liter club soda
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 8 small limes)
- 8 ounces tequila, or less depending on taste
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced into rounds
- In a medium pot add water, sugar, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes to make a simple syrup. Strain out cilantro and discard. Chill the simple syrup mixture in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours or freeze for 1 hour to speed up the process.
- In a large bowl combine chilled syrup, club soda, lime juice, tequila; stir. Serve over ice with a sprig of cilantro and top each drink with 2-3 jalapeño slices.